Week 11 "JOY"

This week we got transfer calls and I found out....I'm staying in NICE with Soeur Holmgren!!! YAY! 
Our Amis. Quintin is on vacation right now for 2 weeks. So we haven't been able to meet with him. But he called us from his train to Paris! He called to say hi and ask us some questions he had about what it meant to be Mormon. The crazy thing about being a missionary, is you realize how simple the gospel is. And how when people ask questions like, "What does it mean to be a Mormon?" You have to really think... wait a sec, what DOES it mean to be a Mormon?" We REALLY hope he can meet with us when he gets home from vacation. 
Maite is so believing. Her love for Jesus Christ is inspiring! We are trying to help her understand the importance of coming to church right now. Because she still goes to her Evangelical meetings on Sundays. But something that is really cool about her... we gave her the Book of Mormon and she loves it. She was reading it during one of her Evangelical meetings and the pastor walked past her and said, "You shouldn't read that book. The Mormons are a sect." And she said, "Oh yeah?! Well this book talks about Jesus Christ in it so I am going to read the whole book until the very end." Hahaha she is so sassy I love it. 
Madame Gazagne hasn't been able to meet with us these past two weeks due to illness. But we really have faith that she can be baptized soon because she is so prepared.


French people know how to eat. I am blown away with how food tastes here. And how much time the French people take to sit down and talk and eat without rushing. Food is an experience in France, not a task. We went to Kevin's house last night for dinner. (Kevin has been a member a year, is from New Caledonia, and is currently the assistant to the mission leader in our ward.) We walked into Kevin's apartment last night (It was me, Soeur Holmgren, and the other 4 Elders in our district) and it was all "zen" feeling (that's a word French people love to use). It had candles everywhere, some soft church music playing, and smelled like Christmas. Kevin asked us what we wanted to drink, "Mango, Pina Colada, or Mojito." I expected him to bring out just a cup with some juice in it. But no. He brings out this full on tray with legitement Pina Coladas (no alcohol dont worry) with like a pineapple and everything.

 HA! I was like... where even am I? And the main meal he fed us was this delicious asian noodle thing. If there was a dish to describe what autumn would taste like... it was this dish. We ate SO much food at Kevin's... that when Soeur Holmgren and I were walking home, we were just hunched over we couldn't stand up straight. OHHHHH BOYYYYYY. 


This week was a little tough for me. I feel like there are so many expectations I am asked to live up to as a missionary. And also it's hard for me to feel where I'm needed. Because I speak and understand so little french, etc. That sometimes I wonder, am I even needed here? All I do is sit there during the entire lesson and smile and bear MAYBE a 20 second testimony. As a missionary I am asked to be exactly obedient, on time, happy, productive, organized, clean, focused, speak french, know the gospel principles, study preach my gospel, the list goes on and on and on. And this week I felt so bottled in I just wanted to scream, "I CAN'T BE EVERYTHING!!!' But then I remember all the talents and blessings God HAS given me. I am not everything, but I am enough. And one thing I will never lose is my trust in my Heavenly Father. And I think that is what President Nelson meant in his talk about joy. That even though I had a hard week and felt down on myself, I know Heavenly Father has a plan for me. I know that Jesus Christ is my friend and savior. And that things are going to be okay. Because of the gospel of Jesus Christ, I have a greater perspective. 

I studied a lot about joy this week. 

Alma 27:17-18 says
Now the joy of Ammon was so great even that he was full; yea, he was swallowed up in the joy of his God... Now was not this exceeding joy? Behold, this is joy which none receiveth save it be the truly penitent and humble seeker of happiness.

President Nelson says
"If we look to the world and follow its formulas for happiness, we will never know joy. The unrighteous may experience any number of emotions and sensations, but they will never experience joy! Joy is a gift for the faithful. It is the gift that comes from intentionally trying to live a righteous life, as taught by Jesus Christ.
He taught us how to have joy. When we choose Heavenly Father to be our God and when we can feel the Savior’s Atonement working in our lives, we will be filled with joy."

Joy doesn't come because of THINGS. Joy comes because of Jesus Christ. Because even if we feel depressed, lonely, frustrated, or just sad... we can look to Him and know that there is hope. That is why it is absolutely essential to make Jesus Christ the very core of our lives. To strengthen our relationship with Heavenly Father. And I know I say this every week. But the more I come to know my Heavenly Father, I understand how full of love he is. That is why I need him in my life. Because when I feel mad at the world, I can turn to Him and say, please help me. I need you with me. I absolutely could not do a mission without Heavenly Father by my side. I am so grateful for his companionship. 

Bisous! Soeur Jones 
I received three letters this week! 


Souer Holmgren captured this photo while I was on the bus reading the letter from Mom, Madeline and Eliza!  



No comments

Back to Top