Week 16 "Change is a Process and Repentance is a Pattern"

Soeur Carbonne just told just me she loves me...
It was her 96th Birthday last week! 
My cute mission prep teacher last year at BYU, Brad Wilcox, said, "Change is a process, and repentance a pattern." Sometimes it is hard for me so see my progress as a missionary because change is so gradual. But this week, I was able to reflect at how far I have come.

Yesterday in church, a family from Utah showed up. I helped teach the two little girls dance for princess camp when they were younger so it was crazy to see them here in Nice. It was so weird to see people from home. Because I felt like I was old Abby Jones, but then I wasn't because I am more mellow and more grown up. I feel like I have become more real and genuine. I think it is a mix of maturity, missionary, and French culture. I sat there during the sacrament meeting just smiling and closing my eyes. I realized for the fist time on my  mission, how much I have progressed. I sat there thanking my Heavenly Father over and over again for the progress I have made and the person I have become. And then I realized that it is truly because of the atonement of Jesus Christ that I am able to progress and change. Repentance allows me to progress. I am so grateful for Jesus Christ. For his atonement that he gave me to use and change. I am grateful the mission has been so humbling for me.


The number one thing I have learned so far on my mission is to trust my Heavenly Father. Even when I don't understand why he isn't stepping in right away...or  I feel like I have no idea where he is leading me...or why I am having an unmotivated, hard week. I have recognized how important it is to have consistent trust in Him and His plan for me. I have to trust that he knows me and know who I can become. I need to let go of what I think my limits are and just be vulnerable enough to allow Him to change and mold me into the best version of Abby Jones.

District Meeting in Cannes


Right now as a mission, we are really focusing our efforts on working with members, and working with part-member families. The members are so vital to this work. They help our ami's realize that normal people here in France, have benefited from the gospel. They also help new converts stay active in the church because they are there as their friends and not just missionaries.

Soeur Jones and Soeur Tauira

This week I was able to go on my first exchange with my STL's in Aix-en-Provence. Ohhhh what a beautiful ville. The rolling hills were full of yellow and orange trees, for the peak of fall. An exchange is where you basically leave your companion, and be companions with someone else for the day. I went with Soeur Tauira. She is a great missionary who comes from Tahiti. I loved how happy she was every time
we would walk up to people on the street and talk to them. I also love how thoughtful she is. That is something I need to be better at. She asked me, "So... what are you doing for Soeur Holmgren before she leaves?" I was like, uhhhhhhh, I didn't have anything planned. HAHA!



And she said, "Okay, well lets go buy stuff right now for her so that you can have a surprise for her when she leaves." She helped me cut out hearts and notes and print off fun pics for Soeur Holmgren. She also pulled out a giant bag of her Tahitian shell necklaces and pulled out 3 to give to my companion the day she leaves for the airport. I love the different things I learn from each Sister missionary in this
mission.
course 1-pumpkin, orange, thyme soup

Course 2-duck and mango salad             Course 3-turkey, carrots, potatoes, brussel sprouts

Course 4-key lime cheesecake for dessert                           WE LOVE DONNA!!!

Thanksgiving was SO RAD this week. Donna invited us over to her house. Like I said last week, Donna is from England but she is working as a personal chef for famous people here in Nice. Andddd we ate at her house for Thanksgiving. Okay actually, she was house sitting someone else's really expansive house. So we pulled up to the house and it was
just on the hill top of Nice. I walked out on the balcony and it was an ocean front view. I looked out on the ocean and there was a fancy private yacht just floatin there. 


Donna's View

I seriously sometimes have to pinch myself that I am a missionary here. The food Donna made was again so good. Really- there is no way to describe it. You just have to come out here to try it. Ps. Parents... Donna told me she would cater for my wedding. All she requires is the plane ticket and accommodations. And she said she'll do it. So I have that covered now! Woot woot!



On our way to Eze

I went to Eze twice this week! Ohhhhh man. This time we were able to go to the actual village of Eze. It is this little village on top of a mountain. It reminded me a lot of Mont Saint Michel that we saw in Normandie, except it was more colorful and bright. There are these beautiful gardens at the top with different types of cacti. And waterfalls and old ruins from the castle. 


So tranquil. There is also a beautiful yellow chapel at the top of Eze. The streets are lined with little shops, perfumeries, and restaurants. The walls are crawling
with ivy and purple flowers. Oh and did I mention the view? The ocean is so endless and blue from the top.  It seriously felt like a story book.

This week is my companion, Soeur Holmgren's, last week as a missionary! Today we decided we would have the best pday ever. So we went on an hour hike with the other Elder missionaries in Nice to the top of Eze. We hiked along the side of the mountain with the sea below us. We explored Eze village, bought perfume, and topped it off by eating a fancy, expensive lunch at the very top. It was definitely the best pday I have had my whole mission.


 Last pday for Soeur Holmgren

I am really happy. I am happy to be where I am and who I am. I have never felt so close or dependent on my Heavenly Father as I do right now in my life. And I can't believe that I have already been out 4 months on my mission. 


Seeing Soeur Holmgren get ready to leave just makes me realize how fast it really does go by. A year in a half is nothing. But then again, some days feel really long. Those hard
moments make the good moments that much sweeter!

Grand Bisous! Soeur Jones


More Pday photos:

Top of Eze in the Gardens





Exploring Eze






Nice During the Storm


Christmas is coming to town in Nice....Making Snow

  THE NUTCRACKER BALLET IN NICE

No comments

Back to Top