Week 19 "Christmas Conference in Lyon"


This week we hopped on a train and traveled to Lyon for our Christmas Conference. Elder Sabin, from the Europe area presidency, came and spoke to us.

 President Brown also spoke to us and encouraged us to give these last few weeks of the year our all because people are PREPARED TO BE TAUGHT. I felt like my faith meter just SHOT up straight to the sky after President spoke. It felt like a wall of the spirit and faith and power all mixed together just hitting me like a tidal wave. My desire to work hard, be obedient, and love the Lord and his children exploded.

It was also the biggest fête to be with all the other missionaries from the mission. I loved seeing Soeur Goold (of course) and Soeur Cusick. I was happy to talk to Soeur Goold about some of the hard things I was experiencing right now in the mission and hear that she was struggling with those things too! Some of these things include:
How do I know if I am making the most effective use of my time every day? I still don't understand sooo much of the conversation when people talk in French. But talking with Soeur Goold also made me realize how much we have both progressed in French and just grown up a lot!



We had SUCH an incredible rdv with "A" this week. We even had Clément and Elton (members) at the rdv which made "A" have someone to relate to. I would say this rdv with "A" was the best rdv I have ever had on my mission so far. We talked about Jesus Christ, his atonement, and repentance. "A's" questions were so sincere and honest. 

Elton in the Liahonna for January 2018. It is the French one that you can look up online!

When I told him about the joy I have experienced from repentance and the atonement in my life, "A" asked, "But why share it? Wouldn't it be easier to just be selfish and keep this joy to yourself? Why leave your country and family for 18 months to come share it with me?" It took me a while to respond. As tears filled my eyes and I took a deep breath in I explained to him that sin hurt me. That my mistakes I have made were difficult for me to forget. But because of Jesus Christ, I have had that weight from every mistake I have made taken from me. The joy I feel from repentance is impossible NOT to share. I needed to share this joy with others. The room was quiet which gave "A" time to think. The spirit was so tangible in the room. I asked "A", "how do you feel right now?" He thought for a second and replied, "... I feel.... calm." And we told him that feeling was the spirt of God. He needs and wants this same peace in his life. And this message and Jesus Christ is where he is going to find it. Before we left he said, "Alright. I am going to read it. I am going to read the Book of Mormon." Wow. What a miracle lesson.

Before this rdv with "A", I felt anxious and nervous. It is
sometimes a lot of pressure to have members there and I was just hoping so badly the lesson would go well. But when Elton offered the opening prayer, I had this wave of comfort come over me. God told me, "Do not worry. This is my work. This is my child. I know what he needs. You are not the one who is going to convert him. It is the holy ghost who will touch his heart." And then as the lesson got going, I felt so at peace. Just warmth and at peace in my heart. I LOVE THE
HOLY GHOST. There are moments in my life where it is stronger than other times. But boy does the holy ghost's presence feel good to have in our lives. Comfort,  Peace,  Perspective, and  Calm. If there is something I needed to learn from going on a mission, it is that the holy ghost is the one who converts people. I had heard people say that
before the mission, but now I have found it out for myself that it is true. God doesn't require me to speak perfect French, or be eloquent with my words, or know the doctrine of the gospel perfectly. He requires me to be humble. Humble enough to listen to the holy ghost and follow its promptings. Humble enough to really listen to the ami and not just talk. Humble enough to love the people we teach, regardless of if they accept the message or not.

Madame Clemence Carbonne


This week we worked harder than ever! There were a couple days where I am pretty sure we didn't stop moving for more than 10 seconds. Okay I am just going to say it....

Contacting is not the most fun thing to do and it is really hard to have envie (desire) for it. The past few Sundays, we have had some extra time. So we were sitting here in the church and we both know in our hearts we need to get out and go talk to people. But it is such a struggle to have envie for it. But, the spirit told me, just get outside and GO! So yesterday we followed the spirit and just went outside to talk to people. We contacted for about 2 hours and only one person stopped when we talked to them. The rest just said, "No merci." Or "je n'ai pas le temps" Or "haaaa!" Or, "je suis CATHOLIC!!!" But I didn't even care because I knew I was doing what the Lord wanted me to do and was working my hardest. When we follow the spirit, we are happy. That is what I have decided. Also- even though no one was interested in our message on the rue, as we were just about to come back to the chapel... our ami, "A" texted us and needed us to teach him again. I was just like WHAT A MIRACLE!!!!!! It was so cool to see that little by little, his heart and desires are changing.

Soeur Carbonne showing me her scrapbook when she was in the Army.


I testify that this gospel is true. That many years ago, the best gift came into the world. That gift is Jesus Christ. He is full of understanding, patience, comfort, and love. He is my rock and my joy. How grateful I am for a Savior. For Jesus Christ, who was willing to suffer for ME. So that I could have joy and become the best version of Abby Jones. So that I can live with my sweet family of mine forever and forever. So that I can have agency and choose for myself and GROW.
And so that I can have eternal life and rest with my Father in Heaven once again. Oh what a glorious day that will be to meet my Savior and see him face to face and hug him. And even though there are a lot of people that say no to us.... that don't understand what an incredible gift we are trying to offer them... I am so grateful to be here. I am grateful to be a missionary in the best mission in the world. I am grateful that I get to share the gospel of Jesus Christ. What a joy.
OH what a joy.

Joyeux Noël tout le monde. Je vous amie beaucoup! J'ai HÂTE de parleravec vous en six jours!!!!!!

Love, Soeur Jones




We bought a Christmas Tree for 20 Euros!!

Joyeux Noel


Our cue little sapin with the presents underneath



Soeur Goold's cupcake presentation

My Mini Santon I bought today at the Noel Marche

Package from Grandma Gayle 

No comments

Back to Top