Week 1 "FIRST P DAY"

August 5, 2016

Helloooooo!!!! I am so lucky because I get a P-day 2 days after arriving here. Most people have to wait a week. First of all- I have an awesome companion, Sister Goold. She is from Washington D.C. and we were actually in the same ward at BYU this year. We BOTH we pre nursing majors and BOTH got into the nursing program and are BOTH starting the same semester (winter 2018). So that's pretty cool.

Sister Goold is easy going, positive, motivated and willing to try new things. For example, our first day here, we were sitting in class and she said, "Let's join choir, I've heard its good." So... we are probably going to join the MTC choir! She also loves the simplicity of the gospel- just like me. She never tries to over complicate anything. She always makes it sounds so simple. I already feel so much love for Sister Goold and feel so blessed that I got a great companion.



Sister Goold and I are both spirit of the law type of people. So sometimes we'll be like, "eh, we can wait a couple minutes to turn off the lights." But they keep emphasizing exact obedience here, so we made a goal to both work on being exactly obedient. Obviously this will be a process throughout the mission. But we are going to try. I just don't want to turn into a robot- but I also want to be a good, obedient missionary. My branch president, President Dowling, said something good that I liked though. He said, "It is not so much a big deal to wake up at EXACTLY 6:30, as it is that you are being obedient." So basically, is it really going to make a difference if you get up at 6:30verses 6:34? Probably not. But its the fact that you are being OBEDIENT that matters. That helped my perspective on things.
Soeur Allen, Soeur Goold, Soeur Huntsman, Soeur Jones at the Provo Temple

The language. The first day I walked into class and they just started blabbering to me in French and I had no idea what was going on. The first day also felt like 28479 years. But like everyone says- the days start picking up as time goes on. I know it will just take time to get used to this crazy tiring, rigorous schedule. I am working on memorizing "Preach My Gospel Missionary purpose" in French right now with my companion. "Invite les gens a venir au Christ en les adaint a recevoir....". I am so excited to eventually be able to speak French. One thing I have realized about the language- is I just have to go for it. Even if I mess up or sound dumb, I HAVE to start somewhere.
Our French District
                                            
The food tastes way good here because I am so hungry by the time I get to eat. We also eat at 4 or 5:00 which is kind of early. After dinner we still have like 4 hours of class. It's crazy. We literally go to class ALL DAY. 
Taking a break after reading "Preach My Gospel Missionary Purpose" in French

Funnies:
-there is always that one missionary that is just the classic "I know everything" missionary. We were in zone conference and our zone leaders asked us to read the white handbook with our companion by Sunday. The Sister in front of me raised her hand and asked, "So... what if we've already read the entire white handbook?" uhhhhhhh. Everyone in the room just went silent and our zone leaders told her to read it again. Lol I just laughed under my breath.
Girls in my District: Soeur Jones, Goold, Allen, Huntsman

-My companion and I begged people for coins to use in the vending machine because we only had $20 bills. A girl in our room finally gave us some. We get SOOO hungry at night because we eat way too early. So we always just wander to the vending machines at about 9:00


We pray so much here. It is kind of insane. I think we prayed 13 times yesterday. Pray before lessons, before meals, before you leave, when you wake up, when you go to bed... you get the idea. We pray a lot. It is cool to communicate so often with Heavenly Father. 
                             Me and Sorella Roloff (my close friend from Olympus going to Italy)

My advice for the week is to prepare NOW like you are going on a mission. Pray often. Study sincerely. Create a REAL relationship with Heavenly Father. Even if you have already been on a mission, have never been on a mission, or aren't planning on ever going on a mission... prepare like you are going to go. Because something I realized day one I got here- was that I'm not going to all the sudden just be this stellar, prepared missionary JUST because I am on a mission now. I am now Soeur Jones, but I am still Abby. Even though I don't know everything, and I'm not a perfect missionary, I have been preparing. I am grateful for that. 

I feel SOOO happy, even though I'm exhausted. Whenever I feel tired or down on myself, I just look down and my name tag and it makes it all worth it. I LOVE WEARING THIS NAME TAG. It is truly an amazing experience, just to be a missionary. 

I love you all. Pray that I will have the energy to do this EVERY DAY. I will pray for you back home.  I LOVE BEING A MISSIONARY!!!

Love, Soeur Jones




No comments

Back to Top