Week 38 "HAPPY TWENTIETH"

HAPPY 20TH BIRTHDAY SISTER JONES
JOYEUX ANNIVERSAIRE!




This week was a literal PARTY. I seriously did not know how much fun I could have as a missionary. My birthday was the best birthday yet!  20 feels kind of old I must admit. 
On my birthday, we woke up and went for a run in the early morn. We ran by a boulangerie after and picked up 2 warm pain aux chocolats. I was soooo excited to open the package from you, family!

 I loveeeee the Reese's puffs and golden graham and have eaten them every night. I laughed so hard at the photo wrapping paper thing Eliza sent of me as "froggy." Thank you for the cards and all the thought you put into every gift. Mom, the dress you sent me is SO cute. I wore it on my special day:) 

A couple hours later, we went to Palavas with Soeur Poissionnier and Christine. Soeur Poissionnier kept taking me in tourist clothing shops telling me "Sister, pick something out. I want to buy something for you." We drank Coca-Colas and taught a lesson about charity to Christine. 
Great News......Christine is going to be baptized!! It will be a few months but it's going to happen and we are all so excited!

  
Soeur Poissionnier bought me some way expensive, fancy,
French lunch. I am blown away with people's generosity here. She pulled out the cocktail menu and said, "sister, choose something." I said, Soeur Poissionnier, we can't drink cocktails, there is alcohol!"

And she said, "no look, there are ones without alcohol." So she bought me this huge Hawaiian cocktail for 7 euros. This whole time I am just laughing to myself thinking, I never pictured this moment when I thought of myself as a missionary. 



Christine and Soeur Poissionnier each gave me their surprise presents. Christine gave me a giant swinging squirrel that hangs on a tree. Soeur Poissionnier gave me perfume, lipstick, a mini mirror, a ceramic cigale (very southern france), a baguette magnet, a shell treasure box, and a souvenir coin. 

She then told me she had a surprise for me. And all of the sudden, all the workers in the restaurant brought out a huge "profiteroles" dessert for me (3 big eclaire balls with chocolate, ice cream and whipped cream) with sparklers going off. And everyone in the restaurant sang "Joyeux Anniversaire (Abigailllll) to me." Ohhhhh my life. Hahahahahah. And this was only the beginning of such a great day. I felt so much love and felt so happy to be with people I love so much!

After Palavas, we had a rdv with "P", our new ami from Seville,Spain. She is originally from Chile but moved to Spain when she was 12 (I love Chiliens dad!). Actually we had TWO rdv with her this week. She is so humble and prepared to be taught the restored gospel. She testified so simply and sweetly of prayer. She told us how her mom taught her to pray when every she feels scared. "P" said how sometimes she feels scared or alone here living in Montpellier, but
every time she feels this way, she prays and feels peace and comfort.


It is such a joy to teach people about the gospel. And tell people restored truths like "you and your family can be together forever." Or "you can repent of your sins, be baptized, and be completely forgiven and start over."

At the end of the night, Soeur Bonnamy said SHE had a surprise for me. (Like I wasn't already spoiled enough). I made calls in the other room while she was "making a surprise" in the living room. I heard all this racket and furniture being moved around and was so confused. And then she yelled, "C'EST BONNNN." I opened the doors of the living room and fell on the floor laughing. She had transformed our living room into a "club night." With a mini bar with 7 up and crackers and bon bons. She had glow sticks and ballons with a big "20" hanging up. She served me 7 up and we danced around to EFY music. Yes, yes I know what you are thinking, "Abby, you know that it is not every mission companion who will throw you a party like this." But SOEUR BONNAMY DID!!!  
She is sooo cool, genuine, thoughtful, funny, and real. 

Man I never knew I could have so much fun, while still working hard and being obedient as a missionary.This week I thought about what my favorite part of my mission is. An 100%, I would say the people. I love the people I have met here. The members are so generous and real. My companions have taught me so much. The ami's I have had opportunities to teach, lead, and guide, have been examples to me. I love President and Soeur Brown.

I know I am throwing out so much positive right now. And honestly, my mission has a lot of hard moments. But at the end of the week, when I sit down to write this email, I suddenly remember all the good things that happened. I feel really at peace with where I am in my mission right now. I feel lost in the work and the people. I know that the super hard moments will eventually pass and I am learning to better rely on Heavenly Father when I feel like the mission is too hard.

The Paris temple open house is going on RIGHT NOW. 

Everyone come fly out to Paris and come see the temple! Oh how I wish I could go. It is cute watching our ward here in Montpellier get so excited for the temple spectacular. 

They have been practicing for months. Do you know the show "waiting for guffman?" I have never actually seen it. But from what I hear and the trailer of the movie, it reminds me of our
ward right now. Or a little road show that the church used to do. The relief society was sewing outfits with their little machines at the ward on Saturday. Everyone is contributing their talents to the Paris temple spectacular. I can't wait for the temple!

Love Abby









No comments

Back to Top