Week 45 "Ivy In Ecully"



The Zinn's home. We go here every Sunday for dinner.

This week was a little bit heavy, but also full of of light. I
was doing my studies Friday morning when I got a call from the Nice sisters. They told me they had just received the news that Soeur Carbonne passed away that morning. It is hard for me to describe the weight I felt. Soeur Clémence Carbonne is my best friend I have met on the mission. She is 96 years old and I knew that her life was coming to a close. But Mom & Dad, I wanted so desperately for you to meet her. I wanted you to share my love that I have for her.

Memories of Soeur Carbonne

 Soeur Carbonne was an angel for me at a time I really needed her in my mission. At the beginning of my mission I didn't feel like I fit in anywhere. But Soeur Carbonne just wrapped me in her love and took such good care of me. I will never forget the lesson she taught me to "love one another." There is nothing in the world more important than love. When I was in Nice, it was hard for me to see if I was really having an impact on anyone. I visited Soeur Carbonne once a week because she needed it. And now I am so grateful that I did that. She has truly influenced me and changed me. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for letting me love her. I love that spunky, positive, small, full of outbursts, kind woman. I know that she too, is now one of my angels. I spent a lot of time in prayer this week and was completely filled with sunshine, light, peace, and gratitude. Prayer is real. It will carry us.

Me, Soeur Margin, Amandine and Jesus behind us


So what's Ecully like?
-65% of the homes are almost completely covered in ivy
-20 minutes away on bus/metro from the center of Lyon
there is a huge basilica called Fourvière, that sits at the top of the hill. It was apparently used as the castle in the new Beauty and the Beast movie
-The people are not super pressed with time. They are more tranquil because it is in the countryside of Lyon
-ZERO air conditioning. Every single house we go into is HOT. I am sweating a LOT.
-Lyon is the gastronomic capital of the world. One of the specialties here in Lyon is called Quenelle. It is this potatoey, bready cylinder log thing with either a red sauce or a creamy white sauce and mushrooms. YUM
-There are a ton of Africans in our ward with lots of little kids. I love African babies.

Beautiful rainy view right outside our chapel in Ecully. 


I love the ward here in Ecully. This week we had SEVEN mangez-vous (eating at members houses). I know that is normal for Utah for missionaries to eat every meal with members but not here. It was awesome and I think I gained 4 kilos. 



Really Spicy Food with Soeur Theromy and Daniel from Malaysia

We ate spicy Malaysian food, classic French lasagna, Hawaiian food and even "Cafe rio" with the Zinns. We had a "Hawaiian night" at the Geddes couples apartment. They
invited about 14 other missionaries and it felt like a YSA activity lol. There was Hawaiian flowered table clothes, Hawaiian fruit and "POG" drink. There was even Hawaiian music playing. They sat us down at the end and told us their "love story." All of us looked like 5-year-olds gathered around them to hear a bedtime story. They are AWESOME!!!

"Hawaiian Night" at the Geedes couples house with lots of other missionaries. 


This week, I had a learned an important lesson. We were having a lesson with a less active member, "N". We patiently listened to her for about an hour and when we were about to leave, I heard the spirit say to me, "pray for patience." So I did. I prayed about 3 times for patience and charity.

All the sudden, I felt calm and I tried to REALLY sincerely listen to what she was saying. She turned to Soeur Margrin and asked, "what do you think? What do you REALLY think. I want you to be honest." And Soeur Margrin looks her in the eyes and says, "What do I think? I think we need you at church. I think there are members who need your gifts and talents." I then went on to tell her how I overheard a member asking if she would come to church soon. Her face changed and she looked at me and asked, "really?" "Someone asked where I was?" After that, her attitude completely changed and she said, "I am going to come this week. I am going to come this Sunday to church." (Keep in mind it has been at least 9 months since she has come). Do you remember when I talked about hearts being softened here in France?
Well, this day, MY heart was softened. I just needed to be more patient and really listen to her. And I realized, that is what people need. Patience. Love. Sincerity. With people who have gone "less active"... we just need to love them back in to the church. Be sincere. And be patient with them. I know that is what Jesus Christ does with every one of us.

I love you! Bisous!
Love,  Abby

Ps. Today we are going shopping with a recent convert, Giulianna! When we were riding on the bus I saw a grandma wearing my same shoes and I told her, "Hey I have those shoes." And she said, "Ohhhh no Soeur.
That is not okay. We are going shopping Monday to buy new sandals for you." Hahah bennnn voila!




Fathers Day. "Heart Attacking" President Brown

Soeur Margrin and I giving the spiritual thought

Souer Carrier bought us 3 chocolate "ROYALS"

I made this display for the Plan of Salvation when we teach this lesson.

LYON

Vieux Lyon for pday today

Zinn Family

Visiting Soeur Kemp....the mission nurse who lives 5 minutes away from us.

View from top of fourvière

Music Box and Magnet I bought from Lyon

Saint Jean Cathedral

1 comment

  1. beautiful places and smiling faces ! Sad to read about Sister Carbonne passing away, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Back to Top