Week 47 "Cats on the Table and Towels on our Heads"


This week, we had wonderful people invite us to their home. 
Dad I just thought you would love having 3 cats on your kitchen table. 

IT WAS SOOOOOO HOT THIS WEEK. We had the "canicule" period this week, which is this deathly hot time in France where tons of people died several years ago because hospitals were not prepared for the heat wave. Members let us soak our heads with cold water in their showers and we put towels on our heads to wipe up the sweat. I am so grateful for the clouds today.

Today we are going to President and Sister Browns house for "presidents pday" so this letter might be a little shorter. We will play games, have a BBQ, talk with Soeur Brown... its going to be awesome.

I love this video of children singing on Fathers Day: only available on blog abbyinlyon.blogspot.com


Yesterday was the best day of my life. It was the "Saint cène de berger" (sacrament of the Shepard). It is a special Sunday every 5 weeks here in Ecully where all the members try to invite a friend or less active to church. The talks are very well prepared and the meeting is just incredible. Giuliana (recent convert) gave a talk...as well as Elder Menzel (missionary) and the bishop. The Elders and
some other male members also sang "Israël, Israël, God is calling" in French, bien sûr, with all the harmonies and it was BEAUTIFUL. The spirit was so strong. And guess what!? We had 4,000 amis at church!!!!! Okay, we actually had 13 but it literally felt like 4,000. That is the most amis I have ever seen at church on my mission. "E" came, as well as "R", "L", "A", "F", "P"   ... and SO many others. And some of them were
our amis but it is because MEMBERS brought friends too. I was just surrounded by all these non-members during sacrament and it was the best moment of my life. And guess what?! "A" is getting baptized Saturday!!!!! She is the assistants ami but literally I feel like i am part of it because we are good friends. The first time "A" came to church she was so timid. But yesterday she was full of light and hope and change! I know the atonement is real and it changes people. "A" and I just really click I don't know what it is. She is so sincere and I just love how real she is. Yesterday I was able to give her some words of encouragement because she is worried about her baptism Saturday. And she asked me to say the prayer for her baptism. I seriously cannot wait for Saturday. 

We also went to go pick up "R", our ami, for church yesterday. She is an older lady but very spunky and likes to play cards. Well yesterday she came down the stairs and she was wearing this yellow dress and was all dolled up for church. That is the first time she has come. We each took one of her arms and walked with her to
church. It was such a happy moment.

Soeur Theromy with the Elders


I am so happy. This mission is so hard. It is hot. People still reject us. But I am so happy. Not this one time happy but this consistent stream of peace and trust in the Lord has filled my life. I love the gospel. I love talking to people about Jesus Christ. The mission is the best decision I have ever made. And that doesn't mean a mission is the best decision for everyone. But for me, I needed it. I needed to learn certain lessons and grow here. The gospel is so simple. It is Gods plan for us to have joy on this earth, today. Despite how unfair our life is. Despite the trials and weaknesses, we have been given. Despite church members not being perfect. This gospel gives us joy. Faith, repentance, baptism (the sacrament), the Holy Ghost, and being faithful to Christ until the end are the core of the gospel. I love Jesus Christ. He has been so loyal to me. I love what he has helped me
become. I love being a missionary!

LOVE Abbs


Dinner chez Giulina. Erika is her mom in the stripes. I made and amazing chocolate cake and carried it on the packed metro.


The other week at parc de la tête d'or
Soeur Kemp the mission nurse.


Lauren lived in Salt Lake for a little while. She became friends with my sister, Eliza. I met her at our ward the other day.


Lauren's family at church

Faith
Walking to the family Zinns......this building is in the park and it is a cooking school.


No comments

Back to Top